Danger of Mold for Kids


Mold is commonly looked down upon as more of an inconvenience or aesthetically

displeasing problem. It’s also acknowledged as a somewhat minor hazard to people.

Although the danger to an average adult may be considered as a minor hazard, the

danger to younger kids seems to be greatly underestimated. This post looks at the danger

mold poses for the younger demographic and points to some sources of information that

help in reducing the danger.


According to one study in 1999, nearly all chronic sinus infections in infants were the

result of mold. So if you have mold in your home, your respiratory health and that of

any small children or infants might be at risk. Although molds by themselves are not

toxic, some types of molds produce toxins.


Black mold is one such type. It grows on materials like paper, fibreboard, and dust. As

with all types of mold, black mold also requires water or moisture to grow. Infants less

than 6 months old may be prone to suffer from bleeding lungs when exposed to black

mold. Although the studies do not conclusively form a causal relationship between black

mold and bleeding lungs, few studies do indicate a link between the two. Until more

studies are carried out to confirm this, it is best to be cautious and avoid infants getting

exposed to black mold.


If spores form black mold are inhaled, children can experience respiratory problems,

irritated eyes, runny nose, sneezing, throat irritation, coughing, and possibly asthma

attacks. Black mold contacting the skin can also produce skin irritation, rashes, and

itching in kids. Black mold also acts as an allergen so some kids may experience

headaches, memory loss, nose bleeds, and vomiting.


One study from 2004 has found a link between general indoor mold exposure and upper

respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze among both adults and children.

Another study has found sufficient evidence to suggest that children who are genetically

susceptible to asthma development have a higher chance of developing asthma when

exposed to indoor environments with mold. Kids already suffering from asthma,

allergies or immune suppression diseases suffer from more severe symptoms of their

problems when exposed to mold in indoor areas.


What should one do if there is mold in the house? The first thing to remember is that

mold is everywhere. Even if you do have more mold in your house, you or your kids may

have not necessarily been exposed to it. There is no need for immediate panic but

leaving the mold as is also not advisable. If it’s left as is, it will continue to grow and

increase the chances of exposure and danger. A well thought out, gradual and thorough

cleaning of the mold followed by a fix to the root cause is needed. Nonporous materials,

like walls, can be cleaned with cleaning solutions and soapy water. However, porous

materials like carpets, fabrics, and paper exposed to mold will likely have to be disposed

of. Some more details about how mold can be removed are mentioned in this post.


Once the mold has been cleaned and the underlying cause of moisture has been taken

care of, the Centers for Disease Control’s Healthy Housing Assessment Manual states

that the most important way to prevent mold growth is to control moisture. Keep the

area ventilated, heated, and dehumidified to avoid mold from growing again and enjoy a

good time with your kids. Our post on maintaining the right level of humidity is another

useful resource of information for maintaining a healthy indoor environment.


In this article, we looked at how mold can contribute to health problems for kids and

infants. We hope the information provided helps you to take better care of your young

ones. After all, a healthy family is a happy family.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *