How to Deal with Mold in the House?

mold house

Mold is a common problem in many houses. It is harmful to the health and wellbeing of

people while also damaging property. There are many ways to avoid mold from becoming a

problem. But sometimes, it is too late to try to avoid it and one has to consider how to get rid

of it. This article looks at what mold is and how to deal with it is already starting to spread.

 

Mold is a microorganism, which means it is too small to see with just the eyes. They are

only visible when thousands of them have started to grow on a surface already. Even under

a microscope, the spores or hair-like structures are already formations of small colonies of

mold. They are a normal part of the environment and cannot be avoided completely. These

microorganisms mostly feed on dead organic material. This dead organic material can be

anything from dead skin to clothing or leaves, wood, and plants. The mold growing on

furniture or walls slowly eats them up and damages them permanently. Some molds also

release toxins that are harmful to people. Some people are also allergic to mold and can

experience breathing problems when there is a higher concentration of mold.

 

Once it starts increasing and growing on a surface, mold becomes visible in either green,

blue or black color. The more mold there is, the faster it grows, so it is important to deal with

it as soon as possible. How to deal with the mold depends on how much of it is present and

where it is located. If there is only a small amount of mold, you may scrub the moldy area

with soapy water, rinse thoroughly and allow it to dry. Some specialist products are marketed

for cleaning Few common places in the house, where there is more moisture and mold has

more chances of growing, are the kitchen and bathrooms. These should be regularly

inspected for mold and cleaned if needed.

 

For people who have allergies to mold, or other breathing issues, like asthma, should try to

get someone else to clean the mold. This is because mold can get airborne during the

cleaning process and can be inhaled. There is already a higher concentration of spores

present in the air around the area where mold is growing.

 

After the mold has been cleaned, check for the sources or reasons why mold was growing

there in the first place. Mold can only grow in the presence of water or moisture. It is

advisable to check the sources that contribute to the water or moisture in that area and

remove or minimize that source. There is not much of a point to remove the mold if you do

not also remove the source of moisture or water that helped the mold to grow. If the

moisture issue stays, mold will grow back after the cleaning up. It is therefore also very

important to dry the area properly after cleaning the mold. It is a common mistake that after

the area has been scrubbed and cleaned up of the mold, the soapy water or the solution

used in the cleaning is not properly wiped off. This ultimately leads to even quicker

regrowth of the mold.

 

If boxes are being stored, allow some fresh air to flow between the boxes and the walls.

Don’t store boxes right up against a corner inside a cupboard or even in a room where there

has been mold growing before. If there is mold growing under or around a window, that

points to bad insulation which either allows moisture to continuously enter the house might

be a bigger issue that lets water (e.g. from rain or condensation)  to leak to the walls around the

window. Such issues need to be addressed by a builder who can improve the insulation and weather

tightness of the windows. Also importantly, if there is a big mold problem in between the walls,

a badly implemented fix may result in increasing the exposure to the mold. If there is a constant

source of moisture, e.g. shower, cooking, or laundry, then some changes are recommended to reduce

the moisture contribution from these sources. At the minimum, an extractor or exhaust fan should be

used to remove the moisture from the indoor air.

 

After the mold has been cleaned and the possible sources of moisture have been minimized

or removed, two practices are recommended on an ongoing basis. The first is to try to

ventilate the area and allow fresh air to circulate regularly. This should get rid of any excess

mold spores that might be gathering indoors. The second is to start using a dehumidifier.

This can keep the level of moisture under control and therefore avoid mold from growing.

 

Thank you for reading. We hope this article provided helpful information about how to

effectively deal with mold in the house and stop it from coming back. The takeaway is to be

diligent and keep an eye out for water damage, use a good dehumidifier, clean up any spills

or leaks as soon as possible. In case of any leaks or permanent problems, have them

evaluated and repaired on time.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *